Olle Trail Ranger
Foreign Language Interpretation Services by Tourism Organizations
U-do Island appears as if a lying cow is holding its head up. The peak of the south is the head of a cow and has many names: Udu-bong(peak), Swemuri Oreum, Somuri Oreum, and Uduak. Udo residents call it a Seom-muri, Seommuri oreum, or Dodu-bong(peak), as it is the head part of the island.
It has a spacious white sand beach and Udo-bong(peak) in the back. In summer, group of fishing boats light the sea at night.
It is the beach on the west of U-do. Red algae stick to rocks and white discharge, and the sand beach, made of shells, appears not even white but blue. Designated as Natural Monument #438 in 2004, this distinguished scenery can only be observed in U-do.
Sebi-koji is the cap stretching straight away Sedokbaji to the ocean. If the head of Udo-bong(peak) is the head of a cow, then this is the tail. The name used to be 'Swemi' or 'Swebi following the cow tail in Jeju dialect,' and now it is 'Sebi.'
It is Korea's first lighthouse theme park on Udo-bong(peak) in Joil-ri, Udo-myeon. There are 14 models of famous lighthouses in Korea and abroad, including Pharos of Alexandria, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Besides, there is an observatory, walkway, and photo spots.
It honors the Jeju Jamnyeo Resistance, which is Korea's largest female anti-Japanese movement that took place on January 12, 1932, as well as the most significant uprising of fishers. The Jeju Jamnyeo Resistance is a movement of the Haenyeos of U-do, Saehwa-ri, Jongdal-ri, and Hado-ri against Japanese colonization. In east Jeju, 17,000 Haenyeos partook in it over three months. 300, only in U-do. The monument has an engraving of the 'Haenyeo's Song,' written by Ms. Kwansoon Kang, an Udo-born and a spiritual leader of the U-do Haenyeos.