Route 16 : Gonae - Gwangnyeong Olle

Routes

EN
CH
JP

EN
CH
JP
Total Distance : 15.8Km  Total Time : 5-6hour   Difficulty :

The trail continues through the simple charm of the Aewol Ocean and to the mid-mountainous area. The emerald sea continues from Gonae-ri to Gueom-ri. The Sogeum Ville (salt field) where salt crystals shine in the sunlight, the peaceful reservoir where fisherman cast their time away, a quiet forest surrounded by shadows casted tall trees, an old castle that served as a battlefield for the Sambyeolcho army, the small and peaceful villages stone walls surrounding the open farmlands… These are all to be found along the Route 16.


No wheelchair accessible area on this route.

Wheelchair Accessible Area

*Click the route to see wheelchair accessible area

Route Tip

Because there is no restaurant nor store between Gueom-pogu(port) and Hangpaduri Hangmong Historical Site, fill up before setting out on the route. We recommend preparing a lunch box as there is only a small snack store at Hangpaduri Hangmong Historical Site and no other restaurant until Gwangnyeong 1-ri.

Olle Trail Ranger


It is not a problem even if it is your first time to the Jeju Olle Trail.
Let go of the fear of an unfamiliarity and bring excitement for new encounters.
  • Kang, Olle

Official Information Center

You may receive leaflets, guidebooks, and purchase basic souvenirs such as Jeju Olle Passport at the Jeju Olle Information Centers. Do not foret to stop by and get information you needed.

Jeju Olle Information Center(Gonae Port)

Location : 1103-1 Gonae-ri, Aewol-eup

08:00~17:00(Lunch time=12:00~13:00)
Close Luna new year and Korean Thanksgiving day

Public Transportation Information

The public transportation system of Jeju Island has been entirely changed recently and still it's changing. Please double check the up-to-date information of the bus number and route before you take it.

*Click the image to download mobile app

Foreign Language Interpretation Services by Tourism Organizations



[Visit Jeju] Jeju Travel Hot Line(Multi language interpretation service)
- +82 -(0)64-740-6000 / Chat service via mobile app also Available
- Operation Hour : Daily 09:00 ~ 18:00



[KTO] 1330 Korea Travel Hotline(Multi language interpretation service)
- Dial 1330 or though mobile app.
- Operation Hour: 24/7

How to find the Starting Point
How to find the way back from the Finishing Point
Gomsol(pine tree)

Next to the Susan-ri reservoir stands a big pine tree. Measuring 10m in height and 4m in circumference, the big tree has four branches stretching out and the longest one measuring 26 m. The tree was planted at the foundation of the Susan-ri village. It is protected as a guardian tree for the town. The tree was named 'Gomsul,' after its look that is alike a polar bear drinking the reservoir in winter with snow on top. It is Jeju's Natural Monument #441.

Gueom Dolyeomjeon(Gueom-ri Stone Salt Farm)

It is a big Bille(flat and broad rock) of the Gueom Coast, where people used to evaporate the seawater to make salt. The salt Bille of Gueom-ri is as large as 1.2 acres. The entire area of Gueom-ri, Jungeom-ri, and Sineom-ri is called 'Eomjeng-yi,' possibly the shape of the rock or the name of the village 'yeom (salt) makers.' The salt farm starts at Soemeori Koji on the east of the iron rainbow in Gueom-pogu(port) and to Ot-yeo on the border of Jungeom-ri. It is where they used to make salt in the 1950s. Rocky salt produced in the Gueom salt field is not only thick but also great in taste and color and was very popular.

Susan Resevoir

It is an artificial reservoir d in the Southeast of Susan-bong(peak). It was built in the 1960s by blocking the so-called Dapdan Yinae to produce foods. It is anglers’ favorite destination and Jeju residents often visit this place. It is also known as the Susan Amusement Park.

Susan-bong(peak)

Mulme Oreum(small extinct volcano). It is a small oreum at 122m. With its beauty and gentleness, it was the also named 'Young-bong(peak).' When there's drought in Jeju, pastors come by to hold a ritual for rain. To the west of Susan-bong(peak), there are a military cemetery sitting the fallen heroe and a requiem temple.

Sineom Dodaebul(lighthouse)

It is a Jeju traditional lighthouse built with basalt. Fishers leaving at sunlighted it with fish oil at departure and put it out upon return. The original Shinum Dodaetbul existed until the 1960s and has been restored through historical research.

Jungeomsaemul

The spring water in the Jungeom-ri Coast is the drinking water for the Jungeoum Village. Because drawing water through the waves was too tight in winter, they built the breakwater in the 1930s. There is a plethora of water, and the seawater never permeates through the jetty.

Jeju Hangpaduri Hangmong Historical Site

It is where General Kim Tongjeong and Sambyulcho(the special capital defense unit) last fought the Yeomong allies in 273(King Wonjong's 14th year, Koryo Dynasty). There still are some parts the fortress and a lot of remains found such as a hinge, roof tile, ceramics, and pond site. It is today a historical education facility with Soonibi, Soonikmun, seven pictures of Hangmong Relic Painting, and a management office.