Olle Trail Ranger
Jeju Olle Information Center (Jeju international Airport)
Foreign Language Interpretation Services by Tourism Organizations
Gwandeok-jeong is a palace in front of Jeju Mokgwan-a. It is where a variety of events were held, such as archery contest, state examination, and even for inspection of horses for the King. Pastor Shin Sookchung built it in 1448. According to the founding story, he named the place 'Gwandeok' after a phrase in an old book, 'Yegi' which means to shoot an arrow is to become virtuous. The original writing on the signboard written by Prince Anpyeong was burned down and there now is the one written by Lee Sanhae(1539-1609). It is the largest traditional building left in Jeju, designated Treasure #322.
Aljakji of Naedo-dong is a coast of round pebbles. The pebbles make soft sounds as the water slides. 'Jakji' means a small pebble in Jeju dialect and 'Aljakji' means a pebbly coast below a village. The pebble layer is estimated to have been d about 500,000 years ago by the big stream near Oedo-dong. It was designated Jeju's Cultural Heritage in 2003.
Dodu-bong(peak) is a small oreum that is 65.3m tall. It is a symbolic oreum for Dodu Village. The view the top is impressive, and the name used to be Dowon-bong(peak) until the village finally settled.
The name of the stream means to eliminate the anxiety of complex humanity. Because stream is dry at most times and because of its countless branches, it was the named 'Musu-cheon(stream)'. The water starts at the Seobok Valley of Halla-san(mountain)'s Janggumok and flows 25km into the ocean of Oedo-dong. The water is abundant and is a major water supply for Jeju City. Rocky cliffs, a small waterfall, and a clear lake a breathtaking view while skull rock and all kinds of odd rocks draw attention.
Eoyeong-gae is a port leveraging the natural topography and tides. The port has a waterway in the groundstone. Tewoo and other ships would be removed to the outside when the groundstone surfaces at low tide, and to the inside at high tide.
It is a tower at the lower Dogun-cheon(stream). It is where the crowd went sightseeing of the moonlight on the water. Hundreds-years-old nettle trees and pine trees add a unique finesse. It is also a famous sweetfish fishing spot. Dogun-cheon is where tributes were shipped in the Koryo and Joseon dynasties, and so it is also called 'Jogong-cheon.'
The rock appears as if a dragon is holding its head up, and so it is named 'Yongmeori Bawi (dragon head rock).' It is assumed that the rock was formed as the lava was gushing upward. There are many tales about its creation, but here is one. The messenger of the Dragon King went to Halla-san(mountain) to gather an herb for perpetual youth, but he gets shot by the Mountain Spirit. His body sank in the ocean, and only his head stood tall. It is Jeju's Monument #57.
It is a suspension bridge first built in 1967. As the overpass got old, it was rebuilt in 2005. As Yongyeon Yabum, one of the 12 Youngjoo marvels, it is a famous late-night destination for tourists.
It is the closest beach to downtown of Jeju City. Covered by blackish sands and pebbles, it has a pine tree forest on the back. Not too big in size and yet easily accessible, many pay visits to enjoy the city's night view. Here, the Iho Tewoo Festival opens every summer.
It used to be Jeju's most powerful administrative office in the Joseon Dynasty. It is assumed that there were government buildings the Tamna era. Due to the fire in 1434, all buildings burned down and they were later renovated into an office. During the Japanese colonization, most got destroyed except for the Gwandeok-jeong. The ruins were identified in an excavation. They were reproduced as it was in the late Joseon Dynasty, based on Tamna Sullyeokdo (1702) and Tamna Banyoung Chonglam (survey, the 1760s).
Follow the coastal road and you will find Sooguen Yeondae (Monument #23-8 of Jeju Special Self-Governing Province), named after 'Daggeunae(Sooguen-dong)' which used to be the name for Eoyeong Village earlier. Residents in the area also call it 'keun-yeondi' or 'Eoyeong-yeondi'. These days, there are wide grasslands and a rest area near Sooguen Yeondae. The ocean view here is particularly gorgeous.
Across the Yongyeon-dari(bridge) known for the best night view is Yongyeon, a pond puddle at the valley. It is called Yongyeon after the myth of a dragon living in the pond. It used to be a site for rain rituals because a dragon is known to be a mystical creature that drives rain. The view is extraordinary the pond, making it a hot spot for local bureaucrats to hold festivities on a boat.