Olle Trail Ranger
Jeju Olle Information Center (Ganse Lounge X Gwan Deok Jeong BUNSIK)
Foreign Language Interpretation Services by Tourism Organizations
It used to be a standing market, the base for Jeju's commerce, after the liberation and still to these days. It is one of the three traditional markets of Jeju along with Seomun Market and Minsok Five-day Interval Market. It is the largest of its kind in Jeju. (source: Jeju National Museum)
It was the ground to enshrine Kim Jeong, Song Insu, Kim Sangheon, Jeong On, and Song Siyul. They are the ones who were either exiled to Jeju or appointed as an officer and made a meaningful contribution. It is Monument #1 of Jeju Special Self-governing province.
During the April 3 Movement, the whole village burned down and only the ground for the house remains. The remaining residue tells painful wounds. Goneul-dong means the land that always has water on it. It is a distinguished village that is recorded in Byeoldohyeon in King Chungryeol's 26th year in the Koryo Dynasty (1300). In 'An Goneul,' at the eastern tip of Byeoldo-bong(peak), there are 22 families. Seventeen families in 'Gaundaet Goneul(Mid-Goneul),' located between the two branches of Hwabuk-cheon(stream), and 28 families in 'Bat Goneul.' Goneul-dong was burned down on January 4 and 5 of 1949. A whole platoon of the 2nd regiment of the National Defense Guard massacred 24 villagers and it on fire.
The name comes the shape of rock protruding toward the ocean. It looks similar to a chicken resting after skimming off the dirt. 'Darkmoru' means the chicken head because it seems as if a chicken has dug up the ground and is sitting in it.
The island sits on the border between Jocheon Village and Sinchon Village. Low in viscosity, the lava cooled on the outside only while flowing and became flat on a surface(tumulus). It carries significant topographical implications in Jeju.
Yeondae is an old military facility, playing a vital communication role along with Bongsoo(smoke signal tower). Usually, Bongsoo sits on the top of a mountain and Yeondae on hilly districts. However, in Jeju, where the ocean surrounds the island, it is installed somewhere the entire ocean is visible. 'Byeoldo Yeondae' is part of Hwabuk-jin, one of the nine defense units in Jeju. Unlike Jeju's Yeondaes, around it stands a unique protective wall. It is close to Hwabuk-pogu(port) which is one of the major entryways into Jeju. So it is fair enough to assume that it would have played an essential role in the past. Yeondae offers an open ocean view in front of Hwabuk Village. The entire site was restored in February 2001. It is Monument #23-9 of Jeju Special Self-Governing Province.
The oreum(small extinct volcano) offers an open view of Jeju City. The sunis beautiful the oreum, earning the title 'Sabong Nakjo(glow of the setting sun).' It is one of the Ten Marvels of Youngjoo. Black pine forest in Sara-bong(peak) won the 'Beautiful Harmony' award for the People's Forest category at the 11th National Forest Contest in 2010.
Samyang people used this pathway to go to parties and funerals in Sinchon Village. Jeju Olle interviewed the villagers to find the pieces of the path and reconnected them.
It was the entryway for those who were exiled to Jeju. The name refers to how those exiled would wait for good news Hanyang(Seoul) at this spot and sincerely wish the best for the King. According to written records, Jocheon Hall was renovated to Ssangbyeok-jeong in 1590 (King Seonjo's 23rd year) and again renovated in 1599 (King Seonjo's 32nd year) to Yeonbuk-jeong. The building is square and sits on top of the 14-ja-tall embankment, facing southeast. On the north of it is a fortress. Assuming how the shape and size of it are similar to Ongseong(castle), Yeonbuk-jeong may have been built for the purpose of the watchtower.
It is the site of Wondang-sa(temple), which was one of the three temples in Jeju during the Mongol Yuan Empire. It is estimated Wondang-sa was built near the end of the 13th century. A myth tells that Empress Gi of the Won Dynasty wanted to offer a Buddhist service at the great location of 'Samcheon Chilbong.' It continued to exist until the mid 17th century until Bultap-sa was rebuilt on the very spot in 1914. Inside the precincts of Bultap-sa is a five-story stone pagoda, which is designated Treasure #1187. According to a tale, it was built by Emperor Gi, who was taken to the imperial family of the Won Dynasty in King Chungryeol's 26th year in the Koryo Dynasty.
On March 21, 1919, people Sincheon, Jocheon, and Hamdeok gathered at Mimit Dongsan(mound) which is current Manse Dongsan. A student at Hwimoon High School in Seoul, Kim Janghwan was preparing to drive an independence movement with friends upon his return the March 1 Movement. They stuck a Korean flag in Mimit Dognsan and Kim Sibeom read the Declaration of Independence. They marched to Jocheon Biseok Road, shouting Viva Independence. The leaders were arrested. On the next day, at the Jocheon market, another movement arose demanding the release of those detained. Unfortunately, many more ended up in prison. Since then, Mimit Dongsan became Manse Dongsan('Manse' means 'hurray' in Korean). At Jocheon Manse Dongsan, there are Anti-Japanese Movement Memorial Hall, Patriotism Memorial Hall, and the Tombstone for Men of Merit.
It is a stone fortress across the 300 li’s (117 kilometers) of the Jeju coast. The initial purpose was to block Sambyelcho entering Jeju in 1270 (King Wonjong's 11th year, Koryo Dynasty). Repairs and renovations went on the end of Koryo, when there were countless Japanese invasions, to Joseon. The ten site intacts are designated Monument #49 of Jeju Special Self-Governing Province: (Jeju) Hwabuk, Samyang, Aewel, Bukchon, Haengwon, Handong, (Seogwipo) Onpyeong, Sinsan). In 'Namsa-lock' by Kim Sangheon, it is called the Great Wall of Tamna.
Go’ Residence is a modern architecture, built by Go Yongjoon. It is on the south of the Buksin Jakro(west of Sanji-cheon), and built during the Japanese colonization. He separated the annex and gate section, close to the Olle(Jeju traditional pathway home to village), the main building facing one another, and built a garden in between.